Friday 3 February 2012

What is Heaven like?

In the last couple of months, I have been asked or told what Heaven is like, more than ever before. I have had conversations with several people who have just finished reading books written by people who have supposedly visited Heaven in dreams or due to near death experiences. And almost everyone else I have had any kind of philosophical conversation with (which happens more often than you may think) wants to know how I think it will look or have a strong opinion themselves.

More often than not, people have a preconception of what Heaven would look like; whether the Bible description is literal or symbolic. And often people wonder how time would be spent in Heaven; maybe sitting on a cloud playing a harp, or asking God a list of questions.

I have no definite picture in my mind apart from a confident belief that I stick to at all times and always share with anyone who will listen. Heaven will be perfect! And I also think that everyone's experience of Heaven may be slightly different and unique.

In one of Adrian Plass' books he expresses the prayer that when he gets to Heaven, he would like there to be a good library and coffee shop within walking distance of Lords Cricket Ground. And I like that idea. At a funeral recently I shared this theory and that for the deceased, their version of Heaven may have included an excellent bowling green, as this was their love.

God is interested in providing us perfection and that will surely include all the activities that we love, including crown green bowling, if that's what you enjoy.

The more important aspect of this conversation, than trying to work out the exact details of what Heaven will or will not look like, is making sure you are going to find out.

Have a great day

God bless

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment