Thursday 2 February 2012

Time

I once new a very successful business man who was incredibly busy, worked far too many hours and was always rushing around but who always managed to fit everything into his day. He had a sign in his office that read something along these lines:

"We all have the same number of hours in a day, what matters is how we use them"

As I sit here in front of my computer, where I have sat pretty much the whole day, most of the week in fact, I wonder where the time goes. In a couple of weeks Debbie and I will mark two years since the church appointed me their associate minister. Thos two years have absolutely flown by, the first month of the year has disappeared and the sun is starting to set on today. I am increasing of the opinion that time is passing by far too quickly.

I had this brought home to me a few weeks ago, when I received a call from my bank. Before beginning the conversation they had to identify me so asked a few questions, such as my post code, first line of address and age at my next birthday. I answered that I would be 31 and continued with the call. At the end of the conversation the lady on the telephone said very politely "I am sorry to tell you, that on your next birthday you will actually be 32!" - See time is moving so fast that I have lost track of even how old I am!

The reason that I am maybe so conscious of time right now is that I am re-assessing how much time I do or do not spend with the important people around me and more so the time I spend focused on God.

The successful and very busy business man that I mentioned died last year. He had a lot of time to make money, enjoy fantastic holidays, raise a beautiful loving family, but had no time for God at all. To my knowledge he died without ever having time to get to know God and to guarantee his salvation.

Please don't make the same mistake - think about how you spend your time, I'm going to be thinking about how I spend mine. One of the greatest gifts God gives us is that he is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Why not have a chat with him right now, he’s always waiting.

Have a great day.

God bless

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment