Wednesday 12 October 2011

God doesn't want to be your number one priority!

I'm feeling a little brave today, so I've gone for what I hope is an eye catching or thought provoking title to this blog post. The thoughts that I want to share today are not new and have been shared in many different ways, but were bought home to me anew reading a book recently.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time sat listening to people preach in church will have some time been challenged about where God falls in their priorities. And if we are put on the spot to answer I am sure most Christians would state that God is their number one priority, followed by family, then friends, church life, hobbies, work etc. This all sounds great with two fairly massive problems.

1. The reality of this priority idea, the ugly truth, is that in real life our number one priority often is not God. Take a second to think about what area of life you commit the most time, money, energy too. I almost guarantee that work or a hobby or running a family home consumes so much more of your life than God ever stands of chance of claiming.

2. The second and most important problem with this priority idea is that God doesn't want to be a priority in the first place. Putting God on a list, even if He occupies the number one slot, suggests that we can commit a finite amount of time, energy or focus to Him and then move on the next task. Anyone who knows Debbie and I will tell you we love a good list; maybe of jobs or things to do, that can be crossed off as they are achieved. In life we almost always fall into the same mindset of praying in a morning, or reading your Bible, or going to church then cross God off the list for today and then moving to the next task.

God's desire is not be at the top of a list but rather to be at the centre of our lives; the sun in our solar system that everything else revolves around. Only when we allow God to be at the centre of our families, our homes, work, church and whole life will we find balance. Only when we let God out of His compartment, take Him with us into every area of life and ask Him to fill us. To fill our homes, offices, churches and streets can we begin to realise true communion with Him.

When I plan my week I don't try and create appointments to meet with my wife, rather we are in a relationship whilst at work, whilst watching TV and eating dinner. My prayer today is that we can all realise a relationship with God that allows Him and me, God and you to be together with Him at the centre of all areas of life.

Have a great day

God bless

Chris

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link.
    You have a nice blog - interesting read.

    ReplyDelete