Saturday 3 September 2011

The best laid plans of mice and men - part two

I thoroughly enjoyed writing part one of this post remembering some of the great times of the last twelve months. But when reflecting on a year there are of course some very sad times that this same group of people have experienced together.

We have grieved together as two dear members of the church family passed away and where been united in glory with God in Heaven. Like any good family we remembered these friends with tears of both joy and sadness, celebrated their lives and still feel sorrow over the hole they have left in our own lives.

There have been two more funerals that have touched me dearly this year; one being the first funeral I had the privilege of leading. I had prepared myself beforehand to meet the grieving family, read up on the words that had to be used and felt comfortable about the service itself. What stood out at the time and still stands out today is that it really was a privilege - to be able to comfort, in I'm sure a very small way, a family who had lost a loved one. Then to lead them through part of that grief and tell them that there is a hope of a better tomorrow, really was a great honour.
The second funeral that I led this year was for a family member and many things still live with me from that day. Not least the battle of emotion - of staying in balance between comforting my wife and family in their grief and facilitating a service with respect and honour. It was a tough responsibility but one I would not have chosen to ever step away from.

During the last year there have been heartaches, painful and emotional times; we've seen loss and worry and felt people suffer. But we've been able to do all this together.

I don't know as you read this if you're looking back on a year, month or week filled with joy and happiness or sorrow and sadness. I do know that even our best laid plans don't always work out and life often throws us a curve ball when we least expect one.

What I am most thankful for is that throughout both extremes of lifes ups and downs God holds the plans and cares for, loves and wants to carry everyone of us, every step of the way.
He doesn't promise to remove every pain but He doesn promise to wipe away every tear.

Why not have a chat with Him about how your feeling (happy or sad) today?

Have the greatest day you can

And may God really bless you

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment