Tuesday 14 June 2011

Two poems for someone who may need them

These are two poems; one of which many of you will know almost off heart, the other I read for the first time today.



Footprints

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only. This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord, “You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?” The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”


Mary Stevenson, 1936

This too shall pass

If I can endure for this minute whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is or how dark the moment may be-

If I can remain calm and quiet with all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me wWhen everyone else seems to doubt me-

If I can but keep on believing what I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with the morning and that this will pass away, too-

Then nothing in life can defeat me for as long as this knowledge remains
I can suffer whatever is happening for I know God will break all of the chains

That are binding me tight in the darkness and trying to fill me with fear-
For there is no night without dawning and I know that my morning is near.

...Helen Steiner Rice

Have a great day

God bless

Chris

Nothing clever to say about these - just read, enjoy and relax

No comments:

Post a Comment